Thursday, October 1, 2009

a few more days, a few more wonders.

It's only been a couple of days but it feels as if weeks have past in between. "They", whoever they might be - if you know can you tell me because I've always been curious as to who these people are and how you become one of "them", I think I would be good at that whatever it is that "they" do that is.. - anyway I digress. They say that time flies while you are having fun, while I certainly do know this to be the case more often than not, as of right now it seems that my days are extended and hours elongated. Perhaps its because everything over here starts later, stays opens later etc and maybe it has something to do with the fact that for the most part, everything is more relaxed. But it feels like a few days pass in between waking and sleeping each night, and no that is not because I have been out to all hours of the morning. Im just waiting for time to start moving at a head spinning pace as I know it will soon and for June to be here before I realize. For right now though I am taking my time walking though the city every day taking in each detail, making sure I look at everything everywhere I go and to make sure I soak up every last bit, not wanting to leave a crumb of knowledge left behind (sorry Hanzel and Grettle you will have to find your own way this time..)

This past week was, like last week, full to the brim of all things Italian. Tuesday rolled round bringing another language class but this time we were at a r
etirement home called "Casa di Riposo San Silvestro" instead of our normal lecture
with Giovanna(one of our director's here in Florence ). Spending a few hours with the residents there we talked with many of them, in Italian of course, which I actually found more difficult than I initially though it would have been. Sinc
e I still have a limited vocabulary especially about certain topics, holding and especially carrying conversations gets to be difficult. It was also challenging because a few of them were very hard of hearing and I dont think ever really understood what we might have been saying to them but you could tell enjoyed the company nonetheless. Also, I have found that when I look directly at the person speaking and try and lip read a little I am able to understand a bit more easily. Not that I might not have otherwise but since things are pronounced so differently in Italian I find it helps me understand and be able to visualize how to be able to say something. This being said, it was difficult to do this here because I found at least with the few people I spoke with, mumbled their words which in any language let alone one that you are not entirely secure with is hard. All in all though the morning was enjoyable for everyone.
Later in the afternoon, I had my "giro per Firenze" or walk through Florence.
This time we went acros
s the Arno to learn a bit about the other side of the city. Since we all live on one side and go to school on the same side, the times I have at least ventured over to the other side of the river before this were few and far between. (granted i have been here 2
weeks its not like i have had a surplus of time yet...)

Wednesday brought another set of art history, cooking and language classes. In our art history class we learned about gothic architecture and the difference between the gothic churches and cathedrals in France and in Italy. Even though I have studied both the types of gothic cathedrals in classes before this I have never done a exact comparison so I found it very interesting. Without much though you/I whoever would think a gothic church is a gothic church more or less anywhere all with the same sort of similar overall characteristics. I found it interesting though that some of the major parts of the church/cathedrals, the windows and roofs for example, differed quite greatly between the two countries.

Once again, our cooking class was delicious. Starting by literally whipping up some chocolate moose from a few eggs, chocolate and a refrigerator.

The serious business began with the home made gnocchi pasta. We
started, obviously, with some potatoes.
With a great deal of arm strength and a nifty contraption I obliterated the potatoes into mushy strings perfect for pasta making
(see picture - and note that this took lots of work).
Mixing in some four, eggs and a few other essential pasta ingredients the dough was ready to to be rolled and cut into our dumpling like shapes and heavily floured.

To go along with the pasta we made two sauces, a butter, sage and parmesan sauce and a tomato, vegetable sauce. As if two different types of pasta were not enough we made turkey as well. Slightly grilled in olive oil and then cooked in a tomato basil sauce we were finally ready to eat everything. finally.


Bright and early Thursday morning,

we met at Santa Croce for our "at sight" art history class.
I found it particularly interesting at Santa Croce because it was under restoration. Since it is something that I am interesting in pursuing for a career, to see people actually working such a monumental structure and artworks inside and for it to be their job was so amazing.
(If you quint you can see a woman in the picture who is ever so carefully repairing the frescos behind the altar- also behind scaffolding so a bit hard to see.)

Friday we had our weekly conversation class for two hours with our "conversation partners" - who are a random assortment people Giovanna knows through her sons, who work in the same office as Monica's (other director of the program) husband, or another long complicated Italian story. Exchanging slang terms, awkward phrases, things to say and not to say, hand gestures in a very oddly assembled group I think both Florentines and Smithies alike are getting something out of the peculiar mix of Italian/English conversations we usually end up having.

The rest of Friday afternoon was spent wandering the other side of the Arno River as we had done in out "in giro" a few days earlier with two other girls from the program, Tyler and Olivia. The sun baking on our necks, we walked in circles but at the time seemed like a logical path to take. We ended up at a vintage store on a side street filled with old forgotten items that at one point were I'm sure were someone's somewhere's favorite whatever it might be.
Friday night however switched gears from the relaxing wanderings of the day to a hubub of activity. We all decided since it was practically our first weekend in Florence that meant we had to celebrate by going to a discoteca. Dressed and ready to dance we headed out to meet up with everyone in Piazza Santa Croce ( yes, one and the same gothic church - its apparently a thing here to sit on church steps at night and drink -- we observed many italianites and others doing so). Once all 15 Smithies, 1 conversation partner (Alessio), and 2 of his friends ( Im so bad with names) had gathered we meandered to a nearby Irish/Italian pub with a live italian group doing covers of old American music. Intrigued and entertained we listened for the rest of their set before heading to the discoteca. The disco, Twice, was already buzzing with people by the time we got there yet all 15 Smithies entered without a problem. Alessio and his 2 friends however were denied entry because they were not "dressed appropriately". Apparently nice jeans - nicer jeans than any boy in the US- and a t-shirt didn't cut it for their "lookin-good" night. So dumb.
3 people down, the rest of us all went in and were overpowered by American music. I think the entire time we were there I heard 2 - at the most- Italian songs. The rest were all from the states, both popular now and 5 years ago. All together good just surprising. After countless songs and one or two new blisters formed we got home exhausted but very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment